7 – 8 years
Second grade (also called grade two, corresponding to Year 3 in the UK) is a year of primary education in Canada and the US. Second grade is the second grade of primary school. Children are usually aged 7–8 in this grade level.
Skills that Children Will Learn
- Counting, reading and writing numbers within 1,000 in numerals, number names, and expanded form
- Skip counting by 2s, 5s, 10s and 100s
- Comparing 3-digit numbers
- Fluently add/subtract within 100
- Memorization of all sums of two one-digit numbers
- Money concepts (dollars and cents)
- Word problems involving addition and subtraction within 20.
- Addition and Subtraction within 1,000
- Time Concepts
- Measuring lengths using standard units
- Understanding 2D shapes and attributes
- Arrays and repeated addition as a foundation for multiplication
- Number line
- Partitioning circles and rectangles in equal shares as a foundation for fractions.
- Fluency Strategies and Problem Solving up to 20 (4 weeks)
- Place Value up to 1000 (4 weeks)
- Linear Measurement with standard units (3 weeks)
- Money (3 weeks)
- Shapes 2D and 3D (3 weeks)
- Tools to tell time – Clock and Calendar (3 weeks)
- Generate and Represent Graphs and Data (3 weeks)